I have always considered myself to be a good reader. I learned to read at a fairly young age, and have read at high levels through out my school experience. I have read a variety on texts through the years. I am a fan of many different genres of writing. As a young child my parents were very supportive in helping me learn to read and supplying books for me. My favorite period of reading in my life was from the ages of 4-6. I was given so much freedom in my reading. I could pick up nearly any book I saw in my parents house and try to read it. I remember a time when I had read all the children's books my parents had at the time and decided to try to read my fathers college textbooks. My father was a business and marketing major so many of the concepts were difficult or impossible to understand, and his computer technology text seemed like complete gibberish. The exception was a lone anatomy textbook my father had. I remember looking at the pictures of the skeletal and muscular systems and being fascinated. Although the actually words of the book were still beyond my reading level at that age, by using contextual information I was able to understand a significant part of it. That experience helped to shape me and sent me in the direction that has placed me where I am now. My least favorite memory of reading is from high school. In my sophomore year I had to take a class called contemporary american literature . The choices in books that we were required to read were of no interest to me at that time. I was very frustrated in the selections chosen. To this day I still dislike those books read in that class.
In my future classroom I want to develop a positive environment for reading. Although there is not a lot of written text in PE classes, I can still encourage reading. I can refer students to stories about a sport they enjoy or activity. In health I can suggest other texts related to the subjects covered that may present information in a more entertaining way than most textbooks do. I feel a real struggle for some students when it comes to reading is a fear of reading aloud and having students make fun of them. If I want students to read aloud maybe I can prepare those students be giving them their portion ahead of time so they can feel more confidence and ask me questions if they don't know a word. Reading is so important for enriching the mind and it is such a tragedy some students develop a hatred for reading due to the way it is presented to them.
I really connected with what you said about how it is a tragedy that some students develop a hatred for reading due to the ways it is presented. When I am at my health clinical I notice that some of the kids absolutely hate to read and just do not do any work that requires them to read. They are missing out on so much that could enrich their lives in the long run, but due to the way it is presented they have no desire to even try.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading what you have to say about reading. I remember always being interested in reading as well but being frustrated with the options that I was given at school. I think that it is a really great idea to prepare your students if they are going to read out loud by giving them the portion of the reading ahead of time.
ReplyDeleteI loved hearing that you tried to pick up textbooks as a child. What an awesome insight into the fearless curiosity of being a child. I'm really interested in how teachers can tap into that fearless curiosity, instead of squelching it. It's sad that happens, because no teacher would ever intend it. I think the key is in your story. You didn't understand/weren't interested in some texts, and set those aside to look for something interesting. How can we allow our students that freedom in the confines of the curriculum?
ReplyDeleteHi AJ...I wanted to comment on your experience with reading your father's anatomy text. You were able to understand parts of it, even though it was above your grade level, because of the images and captions. The same principle is true for English learners and students who are "struggling readers"--they can understand concepts better if you provide them with texts that include friendly features, such as images. Thanks for your posting! You sound like you were enterprising from a young age.
ReplyDelete